Oyster's Distributed Discussions - Hosted by Ali Greene
S1E5 - Oysters & Dogfood with Rhys Black
In the last episode of Season 1, host Ali Greene chats with Rhys Black who shares his thoughts on documentation, socializing in smaller groups, key skills of learning how to work remotely, and the benefits of hiring remotely to make every employee experience successful.
Rhys has seven years of experience running distributed teams of engineers and designers as a product manager. He started his first company, Trade Nations, which was fully distributed and had employees all across Europe and Latin America. After selling his stake in that business, Rhys started Delocate to help with issues he saw firsthand on the ground and other companies with operational challenges of working with distributed teams. Delocate was acquired by Oyster, where Rhys is now the Head of Remote.
- State of the World:COVID restrictions and memorable moments in the WFH era
- Social impact, discrimination, and biases of remote work
- Rhys’ tactical advice for deciding to hire remotely
- What impact remote work has on Rhys’ individual lifestyle
- Remote Work benefits and challenges
- Favorite ways to connect as a team and support a different type of work environment
- Company culture and eating your own “dogfood”
- Oyster Remote Ready program
- Benchmarking salary
- Two things a remote company needs are knowledge management and engagement
Brought to you by Oyster & Ali Greene of Oyster's Distributed Discussions - Hosted by Ali Greene